HOME KRUPANJ THROUGH CENTURIES SECRET BEAUTY CULTURAL HERITAGE RELIGIOUS TOURISM
KRUPANJ THROUGH CENTURIES

Rađevina and its town centre Krupanj are located in the western part of Serbia, on the right bank of the River Drina. According to the last register from 2011 year, Krupanj has 4455 residents whereas the municipality counts 17 295 residents.

The town is valley housing development and it lies located in a corrie surrounded with branches of Boranja, Jagodnja and Sokolska planina; it lies as a submountain place southern from the 45 parallel at an altitude of 289 meters. The highest peak of Ranjevina is Rožanj (973m) that is located on the Sokolska planina. The rivers Bogoštica, Zmajevac, Čađavica and Kržava strean along the town, and the River Likodra is formed by their joining in the center. Krupanj is remote from Loznica 28 km, from Šabac and Valjevo 64 km, from Novi Sad 135 km and from Belgrade 160 km.

Climate

Seeing that Rađevina is peri-Pannonian region of the southern perimeter of the Pannonian basin, its clime is temperate continental. The circumstance that this small hollow constitutes “basin in basin” (submountain mild-climate basin) implies certain mild climate basin features of the microclimate of Krupanj, and in that sense it constitutes a specific air spa.

Mountains protect it from regional air, but they bring it local airstreams. Many guests, already at first encounter with this region, emphasize exceptional natural facilities, ecologically clear and unpolluted environment, healthy food, pleasant summer nights and winters with plenty of snow which gives together opportunities for development of summer and winter tourism.

Town history

The first archeological findings in Krupanj date back to the period of Neolithic, and that in the form of ceramics relics, tools and weapons characteristic for that period. At the town entrance, there are relics of Roman habitation with fragments of Roman ceramics, and it is the object relic better known as Vila Rustika. The name Krupanj appears for the first time in Dubrovnik writings in 1417, and Dubrovnik writers who were Italians, wrote it most often as “Crupagn” Rađevina was named after a famous medieval knight – duke Rađ.

With development of mining in Middle Ages, Krupanj became a significant mining place (a silver mine) through which caravan roads of Dubrovnik passed. Turkish conquest of the doamin of a despot (1459) instituted today’s area of Rađevina (Krupanj) into unhappy and dificult life. Krupanj was freed for the first time in summer 1804 by Đorđe Obradović Ćurčija,an outlaw’s chief of brigands and his company of outlaws. Count Krsta Ignjatović – duke of Rađevina had also an important role in the combat against Turks. The first school in Krupanj was opened in 1837. The church of the Ascension of Our Lord was built in 1842. An important event was the emigration of Turks and the demolition of Soko Grad – the notorious Turks fortress in whose bottom there is St Nikolaj’s Monastery that is memorial of bishop of Šabac-Valjevo, mister Lavrentije. In 1862 the head of Rađevina’s county, captain Petar Radojlović, on Mihailo Obrenović count order, demolished the fort and became a legend.

At the end of the XIX century, in the small country town, a smeltery of lead and antimony was built with an additional facilities among which a building which stood out in which the manager of mines Mr. Svetozar Mašin lived with his wife Draga (later the queen, wife of king Aleksandar Obrenović). Culmination of one of the most dynamic battles which Serbian army led in the First World War is connected to the space of Mačkov Kamen on the mountain Jagodnja in immediate hinterland of Krupanj. It is noted in the military that the most dynamic and the bitterest battles in which prince Đorđe Karađorđević was wounded. Serbian people repaid wraiths of their fathers with praiseworthy monuments: a church memorial charnel house of The Ascension of Our Lord in Krupanj and a memorial chapel on Mačkov Kamen compositions of an architect Momir Korunović).

In 1922, “Rađevac” , the first Serbian society was founded. Sport and cultural society was founded in Krupanj in 1927 in the honour of Captain Petar Radojlović which existed until the Second World War. In the Second World War, German punitive expedition burnt Krupanj to foundation except for the building of an old pharmacy (villa of Pero Despić), the church of The Ascension of Our Lord, and hospital which is a memorial of Nikola Spasić, a merchant form Belgrade.