HOME KRUPANJ THROUGH CENTURIES SECRET BEAUTY CULTURAL HERITAGE RELIGIOUS TOURISM
CULTURAL HERITAGE
The old church of the Ascension of Our Lord in Krupanj

It was built in 1842. Next to it the new church memorial charnel house of the Ascension of Our Lord that is in the narrowest part of the center of Krupanj. It is the work of Momir Korunović –Karađorđevićs’ memorial.

Bulding of the church lasted from 1920 until 1931. It is about the relic bulit with the aim to be a reminder of tragic and glorious momentd from our new history. The church was built as a memorial charnel worthy of those who will rest eternally in it. In the church crypt, there are 74 skulls (more than in Ćele tower) of warriors fallen in the battle of Mačkov kamen. The church has one dome, concised and written cross. It is of Neobyzantium style and it was built of Rađevski granite. Portals of iconostasis of the old church are the work of Russian makers from the XIX century, and frescos are the work of an academic painter Nastasijević. In 1994, bell tower was built, from the western side, and it is 22 m high and stylistically different from the church.

On Sunday and on a holiday, believers can attend liturgy and spiritual chanting of the church choir “St Three Hierarchs”( www.pojanje.org.rs).